NEW-RELEASE READING WISHLIST 2017

01:36 Jazz Blackwell 1 Comments

Hi there friends! I did originally consider making this post a 'TBR' but if I'm perfectly honest with you and myself, I don't know if I'll get round to reading all of these books this year. For a start, I've a small mountain of books I already own that I'm trying to get through. Also, I've discovered that Uni generally means two things; a tight budget and lots of textbooks. Although this list is short, whether or not I can purchase all of these books depends entirely upon how my financial situation goes over the course of the next semester. Instead, then, I opted to calling it a Reading Wishlist; a compilation of some of the new-release books I would like to read in 2017. Credit to Reading Books Like A Boss for providing a comprehensive list of 2017 book releases. Apologies to those of you to whom these seems like 'lazy blogging' - I have more exciting posts coming as soon as I get back up to Glasgow and back to my proper camera.

#1 FREEKS - Amanda Hocking 



Summary: Mara has become used to the extraordinary. Roaming from place to place with Gideon Davorian's Travelling Carnival, she longs for an ordinary life where nobody has the ability to levitate or predict the future. She gets her chance when the struggling sideshow sets up camp in the small town of Caudry, and she meets a gorgeous local guy named Gabe. But before long, Mara realises there's a dark presence lurking in the town threatening the lives of her friends. She has seven days to take control of a power she didn't know she had in order to save everyone she cares about - and change the future forever. 

Why I Want To Read It: A little known and highly strange fact about me: I've a great love for any story set in or around a carnival, circus or theatre setting. Perhaps it's my great fondness for Angela Carter - in particular Wise Children - seeping out. Whatever the case may be, I was tremendously excited to read the summary for this book. I also like that the blurb suggests something of a creepy horror/thriller element, as those are two of my favourite genres. 

#2 KILL THE FATHER - Sandrone Dazieri 

Summary: When a woman is beheaded in a park outside Rome and her six-year-old son goes missing, the police unit assigned to the case sees an easy solution: they arrest the woman's husband and await his confession. But the chief of Rome's major crimes unit doubts things are so simple. Secretly, he lures to the case two of Italy's top analytical minds; Deputy Captain Colomba Caselli,a fierce, warrior-like officer still reeling from having survived a bloody catastrophe, and Dante Torre, a man who spent his childhood trapped inside a concrete silo. Fed by the gloved hand of a masked kidnapper who called himself "the Father", Dante emerged from his ordeal with crippling claustrophobia but, also, with an unquenchable thirst for knowledge and hyperobservant capabilities. All evidence suggests that the Father is back and active after being dormant for decades. Indeed, he has left telltale signs that he's looking forward to a reunion with Dante. But when Colomba and Dante begin following the ever-more-bizarre trail of clues, they grasp that what's really going on is darker than they ever imagined.

Why I Want To Read It: Dazieri is a critically acclaimed crime writer, and with good reason. As a lover of the genre, I've enjoyed many of his books in the past. From the summary of this one, it sounds like it will be no exception! 

#3 THE DEVIL CREPT IN - Ania Ahlborn 




Summary: Young Jude Brighton has been missing for three days, and while the search for him is in full swing in the small town of Deer Valley, Oregon, the locals are starting to lose hope. They're well aware that the first forty-eight hours are critical and, after that, the odds usually point to a worst-case scenario. And despite Stevie Clarke's youth, he knows that too; he's seen the cop shows. He knows what each ticking moment might mean for Jude, his cousin and best friend. That, and there was that boy, Max Larsen... the one from years ago, found dead after also disappearing under mysterious circumstances. And then there were the animals: pets gone missing out of yards. For years, the residents of Deer Valley have murmured about these unsolved crimes... and that a killer might lurking around their quiet town. Now, fear has been reborn - and for Stevie, who is determined to find out what really happened to Jude, the awful truth might be too horrifying to imagine. 

Why I Want To Read It: As I've mentioned time and time again, I'm a huge fan of the horror genre. While I've never read any of Ahlborn's works prior to now, I know she's rather lauded in the horror-fiction community and that her books have received high praise in the past. The ominous title and gripping summary of this novel have me hanging on the edge of my seat awaiting its release. 


#4 HER EVERY FEAR - Peter Swanson 

Summary: Following a brutal attack on her ex-boyfriend, Kate Priddy makes an uncharacteristically bold decision after her cousin, Corbin Dell, suggests a temporary apartment swap - and she moves from London to Boston. But soon after arriving Kate makes a shocking discovery: Corbin's next door neighbour, a young woman named Audrey Marshall, has been murdered. When the police start asking  questions about Corbin's relationship with Audrey, and his neighbours start coming forwards with their own suspicions, a shaken Kate has few answers and many questions of her own. Jet-lagged and emotionally unstable, her imagination playing on her every fear, Kate can barely trust herself. So how can she trust any of the strangers she's just met? 

Why I Want To Read It: I seem to remember having read one of Swanson's books - The Girl With A Clock For a Heart - a year or so ago, however I've since been unable to locate it. Perhaps it was lost in the moving process back in July, or maybe it was borrowed from a friend or a library. Either way, I' remember thoroughly enjoying it. Swanson may only have three novels published so far, but he's got the kind of thriller-writing skill seen in the greats like Gillian Flynn. I'm really anxious to get my hands on this one! 

#5 - CONTAINMENT - Hank Parker


Summary: When a gruesome new tick-borne virus breaks out near a major US city and is traced to an extremist group in Southeast Asia, the race to stop a global bioterrorism conspiracy is on. Government epidemiologist Mariah Rossi must leave the safety of her lab to help fellow scientist and covert CIA agent Curt Kennedy to track the disease back to its source. Their worldwide net leads them to an underground lab in the jungles of the Philippines, then to a deadly and climactic battle in the coral reefs near Malaysian Borneo and finally to London and back to America, where the virus must be contained. 

Why I Want To Read It: If you know me, or if we've ever had a discussion about books, you probably know that one of my all time favourite books is James Herbert's '48 - for which I have a full review on this blog. Containment intrigued me for the same reason '48 does; I'm a bit of a medical history nut, and I've quite the morbid obsession with the concept of biological warfare. Especially cool about this book is its author's origins; Parker is a former US Government advisor on agroterrorism, so he really is writing what he knows. This is his début novel and I thoroughly look forward to reading it at some point. 

#6 MY HUSBAND'S WIFE - Jane Corry 


Summary: What if your life was built on a lie? When lawyer Lily marries Ed she's determined to make a fresh start. To leave the secrets of the past behind. But when she takes on her first criminal case, she finds herself strangely drawn to her client. A man who's accused of murder. A man she will soon be willing to risk everything for. But is he really innocent? And who is she to judge? 

Why I Want To Read It: There seems to be a trend emerging, friends. I'll hold my hands up and admit - I'm a sucker for a good mystery story, and I particularly love a courtroom-drama. The deliberately vague summary was what really drew me in here. I can't wait to give this one a go. 


So those are the books off of RBLB's post that caught my eye most (trust me, it was tough to narrow down!) What's on your 2017 reading wishlist? Let me know! 


Happy reading, 
Jazz xo 

You Might Also Like

1 comment:

  1. I still want to read The Kind Worth Killing, but Her Every Fear also sounds really good. I'm a big fan of mysteries/thrillers. I didn't used to be, but I just love them now! I hope you get to read a lot of these!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete