COFFEE TALK #15 - GOODBYE AND GOOD RIDDANCE 2016.

00:00 Jazz Blackwell 0 Comments


Contrary to what this title may suggest, I'm not after dedicating this post to some woeful diatribe of how dreadful 2016 has been; I'm sure you're all as sick of reading all that as I am. Truth be told, 2016 has been okay for me. Of course, the Walking Wotsit and his Pencey little pal getting into power, as well as the loss of countless beloved celebrities, has meant that the year hasn't been so grand for the world in general. But I'm a firm believer in focusing on the positives and in my own personal life, those have far outweighed the negatives. Within the past twelve months I had an article published on a student website, won 'article of the month' for said article, passed my A-Levels (and passed them rather well, if I can say so without sounding boastful), started university at my first choice institution, got good grades on my end-of-semester assignments and had one of the best family Christmases I've experienced in years. While 2016 has been a hell of a year - and not always in the best way - I think that it's important that we remember the sun always comes up in the morning and things will be better when it does. God willing, 2017 will be the metaphorical sunrise, and we'll see things improve in the next twelve months.

Now that the sappy bit is out of the way, it's time for us to acknowledge that Lie To Yourself™ season has come around once more. It's at this time of year that we all promise ourselves we're going to eat healthier, hit the gym, do more charity work and call our parents more. Generally these promises last all of six weeks (if we're lucky) and, to be honest,  I don't usually buy into them. I'm really not a fan of the idea of 'New Years Resolutions', and I'm a firm believer that if you would like to better yourself you should just do it and shouldn't need the New Year as an excuse to do so. That said, I have set myself a number of goals for the coming year, and I'd like to share them with you; 

GOAL #1 BE A BETTER BLOGGER

If you read this blog on the reg you're undoubtedly aware that I'm a bit shit at posting a lot of the time. It seems I operate at one of two extremes; either I make post after post after post over the course of just a few days, or I go weeks without making a single one. I really do enjoy blogging as a hobby and I'm really going to use this year to try and make more of an effort to post very regularly with better and more creative content.

GOAL #2 MAKE A CONSCIOUS EFFORT SAVE UP MONEY

Something else I should put more thought into is my finances. Thing is, I've always been good with money; I'm not really what you'd call a 'spendaholic'. That said, saving up isn't something I've ever really put any conscious effort into, mostly because I've never really had to. Living at my mum's, the rent and bills and food shopping was always paid without me having to contribute too much. Since moving out, I've unfortunately kept the same mentality about budgeting and, while I'm not totally broke, I'm pretty skint because of it. In 2017 I'm going to try to consciously budget my money and hopefully have a bit extra pocket money as a result.

GOAL #3 GO TO EVERY SINGLE CLASS

Something I swore I'd never become guilty of, yet am a bugger for. I can't say that I've made a habit of skipping out on classes after an all-nighter or because of an annoying cold. However, it's something I've done on more occasions than I really care admit to. While it doesn't seem to have had a severely pejorative effect on my grades, I inevitably end up missing something of at least some importance - or something interesting. I'm going to make it a goal this year to attend absolutely every class that I'm capable of going to. 

GOAL #4 DO MORE CREATIVE SHIT

For as long as I can remember, I've been really rather into arts and crafts; I love making things, dying and painting and altering clothes, knitting, cross-stitch... you name it. If it's arty and/or creative I probably like doing it. The thing is, I've not had much chance to do so since I headed off to uni, and that's something I'd really like to change. I've had tons of crafty projects in mind for weeks, and I'm hoping that this will be the year I manage to get through them. 

GOAL #5 READ MORE OUTSIDE OF CLASSES

As you probably know by now, I'm an English Literature student at the University of Strathclyde. This, of course, means lots of mandatory reading. Being a bookworm, of course, I love this. However, in the past three months since moving up to Glasgow, I've fallen off the wagon of reading for the hell of it. I'm really going to try to get back into it in 2017, and I'm setting myself a goal of 50 books outside of my mandatory class reading. 

So these are my goals for 2017. Are you guys making any? Let me know in the comments! 

Happy reading and happy new year, 
Jazz xo 

You Might Also Like

0 comments: