CHRISTMAS SONG BOOK TAG

16:38 Jazz Blackwell 0 Comments

Much too late, I'm trying to squeeze some festive book blogging into the last few days of Christmastime. Though I wasn't tagged by them, I discovered the Christmas Song Book Tag over on Fandoms On The Run's Wordpress blog. I liked that it was rather a different take on your standard Christmassy book posts, and decided to give it a bash myself.

1. "You're a Mean One Mr Grinch"- Name a villainous character you can't help but love. 

Not technically from a book, and not at all surprising to those who know me IRL, my number one fictional villain of all time is the demon Mephistopheles from Christopher Marlowe's play Doctor Faustus. An all-round pretty interesting character, who's rather more powerful than he seems and surprising honest for a literal servant of Satan, Mephistopheles is just everything I love about villains.

2. "All I Want For Christmas Is You" - Name a book that you hope to see under your tree. 

As a fan of all things 80s, I've been after getting Corey Feldman's memoir Coreyography for a little while now. However, it's a bit of a bugger to get ahold of here in the UK - I've not actually seen it in any branch of Smith's or Waterstone's and Amazon seems to be perpetually sold out. For that reason I don't expect to see it there, but if anyone does know where I can get hold of a copy, let a girl know.

3. "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" - Name a character that overcomes major obstacles and learns to believe in themselves. 

This was hard to narrow down; this question is so general that it can be applied to almost any protagonist. That said, in my mind it can be applied especially to Hoke from James Herbert's '48. While he's an all round badass from the offset, Hoke has a lot of flaws that he has to fight and eventually overcome across the course of the novel.

4. "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" - Name a character you think is (a) at the top of the naughty list and (b) at the top of the nice list? 

The top of the naughty list has got to be Assef from Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner. I've expressed my distaste towards this character on several occassions; he truly is the most rotten of the rotten, and he can be easily summed up in one word; bastard.

The nice list spot can, in my opinion, only be gifted to one person; Johnny Cade from S.E. Hinton's teen-rebel classic The Outsiders. Johnny is just generally good; selfless, brave, kind and completely undeserving of all the misfortune that befalls him. 'Nice' is a pretty lame summation of all the great things that Johnny is, but if anyone was ever deserving of topping Santa's list, it's him.

5. "Frosty The Snowman" - Name a book that just melts your heart. 

Speaking of The Outsiders, I think the answer here is going to have to go to that one as well. If you've read it, it's plain to see why. Especially towards the end, the novel is absolutely heartbreaking.

6. "Feliz Navidad" - Name a book which takes place in a country other than your own 

For some reason, this was tricky for me, as I didn't want to say The Outsiders for a third time. While I'm sure I've read lots of other books that aren't set in England, none of them are jumping out at me straight away. I'm going to have to say The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings novels - sadly, I'm not actually from The Shire.

7. "It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year" - Name a holiday themed book you'd use to spread Christmas joy. 

Here, I'm going to be really cliché and obvious and say Dickens' A Christmas Carol. Partially because it's the only explicitly Christmas-themed book that I've read and partially because I feel like it really emulates what Christmas should be about - selflessness, and our love for one another.

8. "Sleigh Ride" - Which fictional character would you choose to spend the holidays with? 

This spot, of course, goes to my beloved Stephen Dene from Maureen Johnson's Shades of London series. I just feel like Stephen deserves to spend a Christmas where he's loved and cared for and can at least try to be happy. After all, given that his parents forgot to pick him up from boarding school for the summer holidays, I can't imagine Christmas was a very exciting affair in the Dene household.

9. "Baby It's Cold Outside" - Which book that you didn't like would you sacrifice to keep warm? 

The Fifty Shades series.

Burn them.

Burn them all.

10. "Do You Hear What I Hear?" - Name a book you think everyone should read. 

Being a lover of Angela Carter as I am, I think it's a crying shame that more people don't talk about her stuff. In particular, my favourite of her full-length novels, Wise Children. If you don't mind a bit of raunchy humour and you're after finding a good read, I'd absolutely advise you pick up a copy.

Happy reading and merry Christmas,
Jazz xo

You Might Also Like

0 comments: