COFFEE TALK #11 - FINISHING EXAMS, LEAVING WORK, UNI PREP, MOVING HOUSE & HAIR ADVENTURES

00:00 Jazz Blackwell 0 Comments


So I feel like this post is long overdue. As in, I haven't made a Coffee Talk post in about two months.

Whoops.

As you can imagine, a lot of stuff has happened in those two months. First and most prominently, I finished all of my A-Level exams. I sat my last one - LITB3 - on 17th June, and honestly? I've never been more relieved of anything in my life. While, as a whole, I've enjoyed Sixth Form, it was obviously a very stressful and a very time-consuming part of my life. I'm really happy that I now have more free time to do the things that I enjoy doing and to relax a bit. Not to mention that the stress-induced eczema that popped up on my forearms in recent weeks was all but gone within days of school being out. Now all that's left to do is sit out the nail-biting wait until results day in late August. I don't want to get too specific and jinx it all, but I'm fairly confident that I've gotten at least decent grades. Fingers crossed.

Of course, finishing A-Levels means that - for me, at least - Uni is the next big step. As I've mentioned in a previous post, I'm as frightened as I am excited to be shooting off one way or the other across the country. That said, I'm fairly confident that I've at least gotten the grades for my insurance choice (touch wood), and some preparation has been necessary. I've my lovely mum to thank for most of this; as ever, she's the organised one while I'm living on Planet Jazz, in a state of organised chaos. She's started putting together a 'Uni Box' for me, comprised of all the necessary toiletries, including about eight thousand bottles of Alberto Balsam Raspberry Shampoo (absolute top hair product ever made, nobody will convince me otherwise) and literally every scent available in Superdrug's own brand shower gel. We've also begun stockpiling packs of instant noodles and UHT coffee cream. So far, the biggest investment for uni life that I have made is a beautiful blue wok, which I got using my last few days of Poundstretcher discount.

Another massive relief; I'm finally free of having to stand at that till twelve hours a week. No longer will I have to tell friends, oh no, sorry, I can't do anything, I'm working all weekend. Of course, I'll miss the money, but I've actually planned ahead for once in my life, and I'll only really have one month in which I'm not getting paid before I get my student financing, and I'm okay with that. The thing I'll miss most, I think, is the people I worked with. My particular branch of the store had some absolutely cracking staff members, and I really will be sad to see the back of them. Still, there's nothing stopping me popping in and visiting them whenever I'm nearby.

But, why Jazz? Why did you quit working there so long before you shoot off to Uni? 

Well, I'm glad you asked me that. I'd like to spin you some fantastical story about the manager being an absolute hellbeast and me telling him where he can stick his poxy job, like the true hero I think I am. But, alas, 'tis not to be. It's a much simpler reason; we're moving a thirty-five minute train ride away.

Since I started doing my GCSEs many, many moons ago, my mum has said that she wanted to move back to the village where she grew up when I went off to uni. All of her family and most of her friends live in or around that area, and so it really makes sense for her to want to be there - since she and my dad got divorced, the only reason she's had to stay around here is my own and my brother's education. Of course, I'll be sad to be so far away from my friends and my paternal family. Nights out are going to be super tricky, as trains back to the village (mercifully it has a station) finish at 6PM and I cannot afford the taxi fair. But I'm trying to look at the positives - as we're moving in mid-July, we'll only be there for about eight weeks before I go off to university anyway, so it's not like it's any great Dickensian tragedy. If anything, it'll prep me for seeing my at-home buddies as infrequently as I'll see them at uni.

Now, arguably the most exciting thing that has happened in the past two months is this;



As of Tuesday night, and courtesy of the lovely Anna, my hair is now, quite literally, straight fire. Although the crappy lighting in my house refuses to pick up on the latter, there's a combination of red and orange tones and I am absolutely living for it. We first used Schwartkopf's Lightening kits in Max Blond to get my naturally dark brown hair fair enough to take the bright colours. Just for fun, here's how that looked; 

Quick, call Vogue.

That slightly moist ginger hair, though. 
We used four boxes of the ligthener, which may seem a bit excessive but bare in mind that I really have quite a lot of hair and it's pretty dark naturally. Once we had it to the desired lightness, we used three different dyes from La Riche Directions; Vermillion, Pillarbox Red and Coral Red. In total, it took about seven hours across two consecutive nights and I'm absolutely over the moon with the results.

The orange is slightly more visible here, but still not
true-to-life intense. I swear, the light in my house hates
me.
I know what you're all thinking. Four boxes of peroxide and three different dyes - when is your hair going to start falling out? Worry not, comrades. I've taken necessary precautions and my hair feels as healthy as it ever has; we combined the Directions dyes with a generous amount of Alberto Balsam's Coconut Conditioner - another hair product I'd highly recommend - so that it acted as not only a colourant, but as a sort of deep-conditioning hair treatment as well. I'll be sure to keep you all updated on the fading time etc. of the hair. 

Happy reading, 
Jazz xo 

You Might Also Like

0 comments: