TOP TEN ON TUESDAY - LITERARY SIDEKICKS

20:58 Jazz Blackwell 0 Comments

I've already spoken to you guys about my favourite literary heroes, and my favourite literary villains.  Obviously the character who steals the show usually belongs to one of those lists. However, a good hero - or, indeed, a good villain - is often nothing without their number two. Behind every good character is a good sidekick, and there's been some real gems over the years.

10. Piglet - Winne The Pooh

Alright, so this one might seem a little bit silly. But come on. Piglet is unfailingly loyal to Pooh, and his friendship is what brings out the best in him. Laugh if you must, I'm aware that it's a bit childish to love him so much. But you gotta admit that Piglet is pretty much the epitome of everything that a good friend should be. 


9. Dr Watson - Sherlock Holmes

Doctor Watson was most recently played by the oh-so-handsome Martin Freeman, and that's one of the reason's for his recent spike in popularity. Personally, he's been one of my favourites for years. I was a strange and precocious child, and I'd read all of the Sherlock Holmes books by the time I'd finished junior school. Watson is just a general all-rounder; he's smart, quick-witted and a damn good friend. 


8. Johnny Cade - The Outsiders

Oh look, Jazz is crying about Johnny Cade again. I know. Shocker. 

It's a strange comparison, I know, but he's similar to Piglet in that he's just everything a good friend should be. But Johnny takes it that one step further; he's everything a good person should be. Unfalteringly loyal, heart-wrenchingly brave, and the only damn thing that kept my angel Dally going, he really is just wonderful. 

7. Dean Moriarty - On The Road

A couple of years ago, I went through a bit of a Jack Kerouac phase that can only be described as embarrassingly pretentious. Thankfully, I've since gotten over that. However, what I haven't gotten over is my burning desire for a Dean Moriarty in my life to go on a road trip with.

I'm accepting volunteers.

6. Little John - Robin Hood

Honestly, Robin Hood was one of those things I fell in love with because of how much I loved the Disney film. Little John has for a long time been one of my favourite Disney characters, and that absolutely did not change when I read the book by Howard Pyle. In almost any interpretation, Little John is undoubtedly one of the best sidekicks of all time. 

5. Tinkerbell - Peter Pan

Surprisingly, Tink wasn't one that I fell in love with from the Disney film. When I was a kid, I was gifted with a copy of the book illustrated by Mabel Lucy Atwell, and it's one of the most beautiful books that I've ever owned. Tink might be a little bit too protective, and a bit too jealous at times, but she's unfailingly loyal to Peter - even to the point where she'd risk her life for him - and she more than redeems herself. 


4. Samwise Gamgee - Lord of The Rings Trilogy 

Oh, Sam. Sweet, loyal, lovely Sam. 

Is there anybody who's read the Lord of The Rings that doesn't absolutely love Sam? Honestly, Merry and Pippin very nearly took his spot - but I just didn't have the heart not to put Sam on this list. He's just everything that a good character should be, and I love him for it.


3. Ron Weasley & Hermione Granger - Harry Potter series

I'm very much a fully-fledged member of the Harry Potter generation, as has probably been established by now. So it's probably expected that Hermione and Ron found their way onto this list. To be honest, I originally intended to pick one or the other, but each one has so many fantastic qualities, it wasn't possible tot narrow it down. Both has that fierce loyalty that is present in every single character in this list. Hermione has the academic knowledge and the sharp wits that have helped Harry through his life, and Ron has that foolhardy bravery and sense of humour that made the journey that little bit easier. 

2. Durza - Eragon

I never said every sidekick on this list was going to be morally good. 

Durza is, to put it bluntly, a complete bastard, and he absolutely gets what is coming to him. But as a sidekick, he's pretty damn great. Unfailingly loyal to his cause, and to Galbatorix, you can't deny that the guy sticks to his guns. Plus, I felt to ought to put him on this list, since he so very narrowly missed out on a spot on my favourite villains list. 

1. Mephistopheles - Dr Faustus

And he wins again. 

I love Mephistopheles. Sue me. 

It's debatable as to whose sidekick he is. I mean, obviously he's an apostate of Satan's, so you can't really deny that he's big buds with the big fiery guy downstairs. But there are some some Mephistopheles-and-Faustus that reek suspiciously of bromance, even if it was written hundreds of years ago. He's loyal and damn good at what he does. And he's one of my favourite characters. 

Don't you look at me in that tone of voice. 

Those are my ten favourite literary sidekicks. I'd like to take a moment out of this post to send out the greatest of condolences to the people of Brussels. My thoughts are with those affected by the atrocities, and especially with the families of those who lost their lives. It's times like these when she should all remember to be grateful for who and what we have, and take some time to appreciate how lucky we are. 

Happy reading, 
Jazz xo  




You Might Also Like

0 comments: