TOP TEN ON TUESDAY - BOOKS I HAVEN'T READ YET

00:16 Jazz Blackwell 1 Comments

So, in the way that I do, I've decided to attempt to be a bit more creative and different with this weeks top ten. Rather than sharing with you guys my favourite things from ten books I have read, I thought I'd talk about ten books that have been on my TBR list for a while - some, for years - and I just haven't quite gotten around to reading yet. If any of y'all have read any of these, please let me know in the comments if it's worth picking them up or if they didn't quite meet your expectations. Thanks in advance!

10. Cujo by Stephen King



I saw this film when I was probably (read: definitely) far, far too young to be watching such things, and when I was blissfully ignorant to the fact that Stephen King was an author. I was borderline horrified by it. Which is kind of a big deal because you'll know, if you know me, that I don't scare easy when it comes to films and  such. This is one of few exceptions to that rule, and yet for some reason I've never gotten round to reading the book. I know, I know, for a fan of King's that's absolutely shameful.

I am a beacon of sin.

9. Divergent series by Veronica Roth



This series is another exception to a rule in my life. Usually, I'll point blank refuse to see a movie until I've read the book on which it is based.  However, I'm a massive fan of Shailene Woodley, so when I saw she was in the film, I couldn't not go and see it.  Haven't seen either of the sequels yet, and I won't until I've picked the books up so I'm still kinda obeying my rule. I do have minor fear that it'll be like The Hunger Games books, though, where they're hyped up to the extreme and then fall short of my expectations. Anyone any thoughts on that?

8. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn



I feel like I am so behind it with the hype on this book. Pretty sure this was the thing to be reading last summer, but that was the time when I rekindled my love for To Kill A Mockingbird and refused to accept anything not containing Boo Radley into my life. With this one I've stuck to my rule of not seeing the movie before I've read the book so I don't actually know anything about the plot. Is it worth picking up? Actually a good book or just one that rode the movie hype to fame?

7. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson



With this one I've kind of semi stuck to my rule. I started watching the movie, and then fell asleep halfway through. Whoops. Honestly, the movie kind of bored me a bit and, after seeing the film adaptation of  Enduring Love, I don't think I'll ever look at Daniel Craig quite the same way ever again (talk about cringe worthy early performances). But I've heard nothing but good things about this books, and others that Larsson has written, so I'm anxious to give it a gander and see if it's any better than the movie.

6. Nights At The Circus by Angela Carter



This is a relatively recent addition to my TBR list. I discovered Angela Carter on the arse end of last year, when we read Wise Children in my Literature class, and I've fallen completely in love with her ever since. Definitely my second favourite author, after our lord and  saviour, Oscar Wilde. I've heard that Nights At The Circus is even better than Wise Children and I'm absolutely itching to get hold of a copy.

5. Carrie by Stephen King



Please don't hit me with a  rock.

I love Stephen King. Really, I do. But Carrie is just not a book I've ever gotten around to reading. I don't know why. Again, I've seen this movie. Many times. I love the original one and even the remake is okay (and this is coming from someone who does not like remakes at all). But for some reason or another, I've just never picked up this book, though I've always wanted too. Definitely on the list for when I hit Newcastle in two weeks time!

4. The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Edgar Allen Poe



Much like King, Poe is a writer that I adore. His only full length novel has been on and off my list for a while. I'll confess I prefer his poetry to his short stories, and I've always ummed and ahhed about whether or not to pick up the novel. Eventually, though, it found a solid place on my TBR. Another find for Newcastle, methinks!

3. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley



Now, this book is one that I actually do own. I very recently purchased a copy of it on eBay and I have every intention of making it my bathtub reading book after I've finished The Shining for the eighty millionth time. Brave New World is something that appeals to both the dystopia lover and the sci-fi nerd inside of me, and I really can't wait to get into it.

2. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes



Again, a book that appeals to my inner sci-fi geek. This is another relatively recent addition to the list. I was told about it by a friend of a friend in a conversation, weirdly enough, about my one true love (Oscar Wilde) in which I mentioned Algernon Moncrieff is one of my favourite fictional characters ever. She suggested I give this a whirl, and its on my list for sure. One of two items on this list that isn't a novel, this one is actually a short story, but I don't mind that. In  fact, I quite enjoy a short story if I'm in between series/heavy reads. I like something I can get through fairly quickly, as a bit of a palette cleanser.

1. Inferno by Dante



The other non-novel item on this list, and another recent addition.
Of course, I've known about the existence of Dante's Inferno for many years now. I think anybody who's into literature in a big way at least knows of the epic poem. However, my interest in it has recently been sparked by our reading of Dr Faustus in Lit class. It's referenced once or twice in the play and hey. What can I say. Marlowe brings out the hellish side of me.


So those are my top ten TBRs as it currently stands. Anybody have any comments on any of these books? What about your own TBRs? Let me know!

Happy reading,
Jazz xo

You Might Also Like

1 comment:

  1. I like the divergent series...except the last book lol! It was pretty long and drawn out. I need to read the gone girl series as well! One day...one day lol!! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete