TOP TEN ON TUESDAY:- BOOK SERIES

00:00 Jazz Blackwell 2 Comments

You know the only thing worse than finishing a novel and not knowing what to do with yourself? Finishing a series of novels - especially one you've read as and when each instalment has come out - and knowing even less what to do with yourself. And yet I repeatedly put myself through this torture. Why, I hear you ask? Well, because some series are just so bloody good. It was hard to narrow it down to ten, but I've just about about managed it.

10. Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs 
I actually have a whole review dedicated to the first novel of this series, and all I can say about the second without giving away spoilers is that it's an excellent continuation of the first. Riggs is an excellent author, and these novels are beautiful, chilling and the perfect balance of fantasy and realism. The only reason this series has not placed higher on the list is because I haven't yet had the chance to get the third book, Library of Souls, and so can only judge the series off of these two. 

9. The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis
Ah, childhood. I'm fairly certain that The Chronicles of Narnia was the second book series I ever completed, after the gripping and challenging epic that is Captain Underpants. I read the first book shortly after my older cousin, while babysitting, put on a VHS of the 1988 mini series of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. After that very first novel, I was hooked, speeding through the entire series at a rate of knots. While my series unfortunately got lost or (more likely) borrowed and never returned at some point years ago and I've never gotten round to buying a new set, these books will always hold a very special place to me. 

8. Alex Rider series - Anthony Horowitz
Speaking of books that are special to me, how about the first example of young Jazz giving society the middle finger? 

I read the Alex Rider books when I was just a young'in, borrowing each novel from my brother as he finished them. And I was told, by friends, teachers and family members alike that I shouldn't be reading them because they're boy's books about nasty boy's things - wouldn't I much rather read this lovely book about fairies and magic? The short answer was no. I loved Alex Rider - both the series and the character. For weeks after finishing the series I'd sit up in anxious wait of that knock on the door in the middle of the night, informing me that the time had come for me to become a spy. 

I'm still waiting.

7. Skulduggery Pleasant series- Derek Landy
Like Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, I have a full review of the Skulduggery Pleasant series as a whole, and so I won't linger on them too long here. Just know that these are freaking kick-ass books, perfect for anybody who loves fantasy and/or detective novels. 


6. Harry Potter series - J.K. Rowling
Are you really surprised? They were bound to be on here somewhere! 

Much as I'd like to maintain my lowkey-hipster status and have this place be held by some kind of obscure, underground novel series, I couldn't resist putting HP on this list. The books sold so many copies for a reason - they're classics, and they have a rightful place in the hearts of millions. 


5. Shades of London series - Maureen Johnson
If y'all didn't see this one coming, you haven't been reading my blog enough. 

Much like Skulduggery Pleasant, these books are fantastic for lovers of fantasy/detective novels, except these ones have a much stronger 'thriller' vibe than the Skulduggery Pleasant novels. I really, really do love these books, and I highly recommend them to everybody I encounter, both online and in person. Unsettling, sad and hilarious at the same time, you're seriously missing out if you pass up on this series.

4. Lord of The Rings - J.R.R Tolkien 
Another classic fantasy series, and another relic from my childhood. 

While I didn't actually read these novels myself until I was in my teens, I distinctly remember my dad reading them to me and my older brother in lieu of a bedtime story, back in the day when we were young enough to share bunk beds. I also remember being severely pissed off when the last film in the series came out and my mum wouldn't let me go see it with my dad and brother because she wanted me to see some 'girly' princess film with her instead. 

Curse you, Jackie, for not letting my inner nerd flourish.

3. Game of Thrones - George RR Martin
Like Harry Potter, these books are popular for a damn good reason. They're written incredibly well, have gripping storylines and a cast of characters which are each individually interesting in their own right, a difficult thing to accomplish when there's so damn many of them. I hate to be that guy but I do really think the novels are better than the TV programme, and if you like the show I'd highly recommend giving them a read. 

If you haven't seen the show and don't know what to expect, but still want to read the books, I implore you to approach them with caution. They contain a lot of violence, strong language and themes of rape and incest. If you are under the age of  eighteen and/or easily upset or offended by any of the mentioned content, please be wary when considering these books. 

2. Inheritance cycle - Christopher Paolini 
First off, can we talk about the fact that Paolini was fifteen years old when he wrote Eragon? 

Fifteen. 

That alone is cause to celebrate the guy. I picked up the first two novels in the series at a school book fair when I was ten because they had dragons on the cover, and I always have been a bit of a crazy dragon lady. I fell in love with the stories and the characters, and the final two were no different. These books are a must for every fantasy lover, be they young adult or not-so-young one. 

1. A Series of Unfortunate Events - Lemony Snickett
Wow! The creepy weird girl loves Lemony Snickett! What a gosh darn shocker! 

I'm being facetious. But really, is it any surprise that my strange self is in love with these books? Fun fact, though: I actually only own the first four of them. The rest I borrowed - all at once - from my local library back when I was a kid, and I read 'em all inside of a month. I don't care if they're intended for children - these thirteen bizarrely hilarious celebrations of the strange are still absolutely my favourite book series and - as far as I'm concerned - they always will be. 

So that's my top ten book series. What're yours? Let me know!

Happy reading, 
Jazz xo 

You Might Also Like

2 comments: