BOOK REVIEW - ALL MY FRIENDS ARE SUPERHEROES

12:08 Jazz Blackwell 0 Comments

Book Title: All My Friends Are Superheroes
Series: N/A
Author: Andrew Kaufman
Genre: Fantasy, fairytale
My rating: 4/5


All My Friends Are Superheroes is a book I picked up on the recommendation of YouTuber Emma Blackery, with whom I'm sure you're all familiar. I actually bought it on the Kindle app, rather than in hard copy because none of my local bookshops stocked it and at the time of recommendation I wanted to read it right now without waiting for delivery. I'm an impatient soul. 

The story's protagonist is Tom, the only 'ordinary' guy in a friendship group of superheroes. These are not, however, your typical Marvel, DC, Caped-Crusader style superheroes - the book comes closer to a fairytale than a superhero story. In fact in Tom's own words "None of them have secret identities. Very few of them wear costumes." Tom fell into the group when he moved to Toronto and met best friend The Amphibian while cleaning a pool. He would later go on to meet and marry The Perfectionist, who was tragically hypnotised by her ex (aptly named Hypno) at their wedding, so that Tom would become invisible to her. The plot of the story follows Tom's heartbreak at his invisibility, and her heartbreak in thinking that he has simply left her. She is in the process of moving from Toronto to Vancouver to start a new life alone, and Tom knows he must make her see him again before the plane lands. 

At only 106 pages, this is an incredibly short and easy read. I got through it in right under an hour. It's a refreshingly light-hearted story one I'd definitely recommend as a kind of 'mind-gargle' after a more heavy-going book. The thing I love the most about it is that, while it is very much a love story, Kaufman's brilliant writing style saves it from being just another cliché. Despite being, at it's core, little more than a romantic allegory to the feeling of unrequited love, it's funny and heart-warming in the best of ways. The book is a metaphorical look at the strengths and foibles of human nature, how our strongest traits - be they positive or negative - define us, make us extraordinary, and how we often fail to see how extra ordinary we really are. Because the book is too short, I won't say too much more about the plot as I don't want to give anything away, but it is a truly lovely and refreshing story that's sure to put a smile on your face. I'd recommend picking up a copy if you're in the market for a light-hearted, pleasant read. 

Happy reading, 
Jazz xo 



You Might Also Like

0 comments: