Would You Rather?

23:20 Jazz Blackwell 0 Comments

That's right, friends.
I am returned.

Sincerest apologies for going AWOL. Again. However, thanks to a small incident involving a leaking water bottle and a school bag full of semi-vital notes I've been spending the last week or so frantically trying to retrieve what I can of my coursework before the next deadline. It's been a hard time with much weeping and many a coffee-fuelled all-nighter. I'm sure you understand.

Whilst recently perusing book blogs and the wonderful, magical world of book reads, I stumbled upon something quite fantastic. The Would You Rather? tag. And, of course, nobody has tagged me to do it. But I'm doing it anyway, because I'm kind of a free spirit like that. Stick it to the man, fight the power and so forth. Anyway, without further ado, here are my answers:

Would you rather... 

1) ...read a standalone book or a series?
Now my first reaction to this question was series, series, a thousand times series. I'm the kind of person who gets very emotionally invested in characters and I often don't know what to do with myself once I've finished a book. However, perusing my bookshelf (or, rather, the pile of books on the floor under my desk since I don't have an actual shelf) I've come to realise something I've never given much thought too; the vast majority of my favourite books are standalone. Perhaps this says something about my personality.

2) ...read a book whose main character is male or female? 
Again, I would think female, because being a chick myself, I should probably find them more relateable. But again, looking at my favourites, all of the protagonists/narrators/central characters are blokes. This one, I understand more. I was raised with an older brother (to whom I'm quite close in age) and several older male cousins. I also spent more time with my dad and my uncle than with my mum as a young kid, as I was at school through the day and she worked in the evenings. As such, I was always something of a tomboy and have never really grown out of that phase.

3) ...shop at a brick and mortar bookshop or on Amazon? 
Ideally? Brick and mortar. However, the only brick and mortar bookshop within spitting distance of my house is WHSmith and I mean, come on. I'm a student on minimum wage here. I don't have money to burn.

4) ...all books become movies or TV shows? 
Oh, how I am torn. I love the concept of books as TV shows, a la Game of Thrones, where each chapter is made into several half-hour episodes rather than the whole novel being condensed into one ninety-minute movie. But in all honesty, I really don't watch all that much TV and am a complete film and cinema nerd. My head says TV show, but my heart says film. What's a girl to do?

5) ...read five pages a day or five books per week? 
Five books per week. My eyeballs would probably fall out of my head but even then they'd be put to better use than reading only five pages a day.

6) ...read only the same 20 books over and over or get to read a new book every six months?
Probably a new book every six months. I am someone who gets bored very easily of a repetitive routine and might actually cry real life actual tears if I could only read twenty books over and over for the rest of my life.

7) ...be a professional book reviewer or an author? 
Author. Hands down. Always wanted to be one and, although that's still the ideal, it's moved to the backburner to make way for a somewhat more realistic career goal.

8) ...be a librarian or own a bookshop? 
Oooh, another toughie. On the one hand nobody really uses libraries any more, so it'd be the perfect place for my misanthropic self to skulk around and be alone with the books. But I hear being a librarian doesn't pay too well and a girl's gotta live, you know?

God damn you, capitalism.

9) ...read only your favourite genre or only your favourite author?
Due to the fact I find it very hard to narrow my favourite author down to just one, I'd say favourite genre. Much wider range plus, my personal favourite genre (horror) has a plethora of subgenres, so I'd probably never run out of fresh material to read.

10) ...read a physical book or an eBook? 
Physical book, for sure. Although here's a pro tip - if you have a Kindle, or the Kindle app on some kind of smart device, and you're considering buying a book but aren't sure, buy it dirt cheap on Kindle and give it a whirl before you get the hard copy. That way if you wind up hating the book, you've not wasted too much money on it.

If you want to do this tag but don't have my renegade spirit to do it without being prompted, feel free to tell people that I tagged you. I won't tell if you don't.

Happy reading,
Jazz x

You Might Also Like

0 comments: