Guess who isn't dead - and a slightly different kind of post.

22:23 Jazz Blackwell 0 Comments

So again, I owe all one of you reading my sincerest apologies. A combination of school and extra shifts for the Christmas period has left me with little to no time to be able to bash out a blog post. I promise you, I haven't died in some horrid freakish accident. Or perhaps I have and I'm typing this from beyond the grave. The world may never know.
Anyway, I was gonna take all my overspilling festive spirit and share with you all my favourite Christmas books. It was only when I came to do this that I realised - I've read a whopping and shameful total of one Christmas book. (And yes, before you speculate. It is A Christmas Carol.) I pondered long and hard over what nonsense I could espouse to you and late, late last night I had something of an epiphany; while I haven't read a whole lot of Christmas books, I've seen a helluva load of Christmas films. While reading is one of my favourite hobbies, I'll confess to being a total movie junkie as well. So, without further ado, here are my top favourite Christmas movies:

5. The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992) Starring: Michael Caine, The Muppets.

Uncool confession time: I absolutely bloody love the Muppets. Before the invention of the DVD, my brother and I found a dusty old copy of the original 1979 Muppets movie in the corner of a local charity shop. We each chipped in a whopping 25p to buy it and ever since then I've had an intense love for Gonzo that borders on hero worship. So, as you may be able to imagine, the festive epic narrated by my idol has been nothing short of an annual staple for my life. Starring the ever-wonderful Mr Michael Cain as everybody's favourite Christmas Humbug, it's difficult to find anything to not love about this magical musical festive sensation. I unabashedly know the words to every single song and can even, on occasion, be found watching it if I have a down day in the midst of summer. A real heartwarmer, this movie is absolutely fantastic if you need a festive pick-me-up.

4. Elf (2003) Starring: Will Ferrell, James Caan, Zooey Deschanel

So here's an unpopular opinion. As a rule, I don't like Will Ferrell. I know he's the world and his wife's total favourite but I just usually do not think he's funny. At all. Perhaps because my love of Christmas far outweighs my dislike of him, or perhaps because of the sentimental value of the movie, Elf is the only exception to this rule. It's the first film I can remember going to see at the cinema - my dad (who fell asleep) and my uncle (who loved it as much as we did) took my brother and I one Christmas holiday, when the telly was broken and we demanded to be entertained. With terrible seats and smuggled in popcorn, I was mesmerised by the sheer size of the screen and the number of people in there. For the first, last and only time I laughed til my sides hurt at a Will Ferrell movie. Another great pick me up, the light hearted comedy and hearwarming message makes it a perfect family film.

3. Black Christmas (1974) Starring: Olivia Hussey, Margot Kidder, Lynne Griffin

No favourite movie list of mine would be complete without a horror. A great "and the calls were coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE" type movie, Black Christmas is perfect for those who prefer a chilling storyline to jump scares. My advice? If you're going to watch it, for the love of God, go for the original. A remake which featured Lacey Chabert was released in 2006 and it is, quite frankly, god awful. Nothing more than a cheesey try-hard. 

I can't say too too much about the movie without giving everything away, but I will put a serious gore warning on this movie. It involves some incredibly gruesome scenes, and is definitely not for the faint of heart. Also includes themes of incest, child abuse and mental illness. If you are sensitive to any of these, approach this film with caution.

2. The Polar Express (2004) Starring: Tom Hanks, Nona Gaye, Leslie Zemeckis 



If you want me to cry like a baby at a film there's one sure fire way to do it: have it be a Tom Hanks movie. Man, the guy just knows how to tug on the old heartstrings. The Polar Express is no exception to this. A real hit-home tale about growing up and losing a childhood sense of belief and wonder, I sob and sob every time I watch it, and yet I can never seem to stop myself. To quote a certain badly written sparkly vampire, its like my own personal brand of heroin. And to think. All that for a character who never has any name except for "Hero Boy". Curse you, Tom Hanks. Curse you.

1. It's a Wonderful Life (1946) Starring: James "Jimmy" Stewart, Donna Reed

Hands down my favourite Christmas movie, and actually one of my all time favourite films in general, It's a Wonderful Life is an oldie but a goodie. Another tearjerker that really just strikes a chord with me. With an uplifting " things do get better and people do care" message, this movie has helped me through some rough, rough times. The iconic "please God let me live again" scene always sees to make me weep buckets. Also helpful is the fact that it stars the late-great-and-ever-so-handsome James "Jimmy" Stewart. If you watch no other film this festive season, I implore you to watch this one.

So that's my (short) favourite Christmas movies post. What's yours? Have any Christmas book recs for me? Let me know.

Merry Christmas,
Keep reading,
Jazz xo

You Might Also Like

0 comments: